View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:10   #59641  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

The reasons one like me may want to play all 23, 24 and 25 files as 24 (which madshi has built into madvr) is to prevent proj resyncing all the time.
Foe those that dont know, the JVCs are very very slow at resyncing, some 15 to 18 secs or more. My new NX9 is faster, but probably 10secs or so.
I run a small film club and use JRiver playlists almost similar as a commercial cinema does. I have an assortment of trailers, coming attractions, short films etc etc before the main feature.
Often these files can be a different mix of 23, 24, 25 or 29. Madshi has built into madvr all files 23, 24, 25 can be played at 24 as long as you tick that box and use reclock or videoclock.
JRiver has Videoclock built into it if one wants to use it, plus madvr is also included into it if one wants to use it.

Setting the three 23,24,25 and using videoclock plays the three all at 24, no projector resync required, no black screen, no 10sec/15secs wait missing the audio and video from the start of the next new file.
The files play through seamlessly just as they do in a cinema. However 29/60 material does require a resync as thats no good at 24
Its impossible to tell if the audio is speaded up or reduced a tiny amount. Maybe if it was a piece of music from a CD that one knows very very well one might know, but thats not the case with film.

As you can see this is not a feature that 99% of people would ever care about or need, but madshi obviously saw a reason for it, so good on him.
Someone like myself who is running a semi professional small theatre with mixed media wanting to play them from a playlist, without black long pauses and clipped audio from the start of a new file, its perfect...
It is a very good feature for a handfull but not for most. Projectors a terrible at resyncing, if they would sync as fast as a monitor then these features are of no use. I pray for the day that HDMI can resync fast!

Last edited by 70MM; 23rd May 2020 at 05:15.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote