View Single Post
Old 25th July 2018, 02:37   #29  |  Link
johnmeyer

OK, even though I don't like animation, I've been reading these posts (at videohelp and now here) for over a month so I download the clip and played with it.

My conclusion?

Unfortunately I now have exactly the same conclusion as I did over in Videohelp: you are chasing a unicorn.

There are several problems. First, even though the animation has no dups (unlike anime, etc.) it is still only 24 fps, so there are big gaps in time between frames. The bigger the time gap, the tougher time motion estimation has in figuring out where to put everything for the intermediate frames.

Second, there are some really small objects to track (e.g., the snowflakes). There is no way in the world motion estimation can figure out what to do with these, especially since they, by design, are darting almost at random. From a technical standpoint, they are pretty much the same as noise.

Third, many of the objects are pretty murky. As one example, about 1/3 of the way through the clip her turquoise glove hand is moving in front of her purple dress. There is very little contrast between the hand and the dress, so the algorithms don't do what they should.

I tried those "magic" settings I referred to before, and which seem to have worked well for many people on other material, but the result was pretty bad. It isn't worth posting the result, but here's the script I used (I always frameserve from Vegas, so the video file is always "fs.avi", the frameserver signpost):

Code:
loadplugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\removegrain.dll")

film="e:\fs.avi"

#setmtmode(5,4)
source= Avisource(film).killaudio().converttoYV12()
#setmtmode(2)

prefiltered = RemoveGrain(source,22)
super = MSuper(source,hpad=16, vpad=16, levels=1) # one level is enough for MRecalculate
superfilt = MSuper(prefiltered, hpad=16, vpad=16) # all levels for MAnalyse
backward = MAnalyse(superfilt, isb = true, blksize=16,overlap=4,search=3,dct=0)
forward = MAnalyse(superfilt, isb = false, blksize=16,overlap=4,search=3,dct=0)
forward_re = MRecalculate(super, forward, blksize=8, overlap=2,thSAD=100)
backward_re = MRecalculate(super, backward, blksize=8, overlap=2,thSAD=100)
MFlowFps(source,super, backward_re, forward_re, num=60000, den=1001,ml=200,mask=2)
My advice is to simply watch and enjoy the film, although now that I know what film it is, my further advice is to turn down the volume whenever Idina Menzel is singing. She has the harshest, screechiest voice I've ever heard. Also, I've heard her sing live, and without autotune she can't hold a note.

Not my favorite singer, as you can tell.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 25th July 2018 at 02:38. Reason: typo
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote