View Single Post
Old 6th April 2020, 05:32   #29369  |  Link
spotswood

My bad! Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
@spotswood

I've been looking at your log in this post. It looks like the reason your bitrate is dropping on "Rocky" is because you'd set a target size that is greater than 8500. When BD-RB sees that, it assumes you are writing to something larger than a DVD-R. So, it removes the restrictions. One of the restrictions is that large audio streams are reencoded to AC3. You'll notice that in the first log you see this:
Code:
 - [22:18:17] Processing audio tracks
   - Track 4352 (eng): Reencoding audio to AC3...
for your first encode, while you see this:
Code:
 - [19:50:51] Processing audio tracks
   - Track 4352 (eng): Keeping original audio
in your second log. The bitrate is dropping because you have your audio settings set to not reencode to AC3. When outputting to DVD-R, the audio is always reencoded because of output disc size. Setting the target above 8500 tells BD-RB you aren't using DVD-R.
OK, I've figured it out. It wasn't the audio setting set to not reencode to AC3 that was mucking things up, it was the setting to Keep HD audio for BD25 intact. I normally keep this enabled since it's overridden when encoding to BD5/9, and I don't have to remember to enable it when encoding to BD25. My problem came about when adjusting a custom target size over 8500 MB to compensate for the undersizing I was experiencing (and not understanding what happens over that). I got it now...

As you explain, at 8501 MB the BD5/9 restrictions are lifted and BDRB assumes I am writing to BD25 and keeps the DTS-MA track (or TrueHD/Atmos), rather than reencoding to AC3 like I'm used to, resulting in the very low video bitrates. So my bad everyone. Sorry for taking you on a wild goose chase. I now return you to your regular scheduled "programming".

Stay safe and healthy...

Last edited by spotswood; 6th April 2020 at 20:33. Reason: addl info...
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote