View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:10   #43  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorr View Post
That certainly could be done. The only difficulty in this would be that Avisynth would have to simulate the upscaling of the playback device (or is it upscaled with Avisynth during the playback?).
It would be simplest to upscale with Avisynth during playback, maybe just use a common LanczosResize or Spline to make sure the upscale remains as sharp as possible without introducing other artifacts.

Quote:
I haven't looked at Vapoursynth so I can't tell for sure. But basically what's needed for the optimizer to work is:
1) a way to run a script programmatically from the optimizer
2) a way to specify which values the optimizer is changing in the script
3) the script has to calculate a result: quality / runtime / any other interesting value
4) the script has to write the result into a specific file

I'm very much interested in making this happen but hopefully someone who knows Vapoursynth can help me figure out the steps above.
Myrsloik, the author of Vapoursynth, is very knowledgeable so I'll post in the Vapoursynth thread to point here. At least point 1 is there out of the box, vspipe can be used to pipe the output of the script and it's commonly used with encoders. The others should also be available as VS is Python-based and thus quite flexible in itself.