View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 18:25   #210  |  Link
JoelHruska

Katie,

I feel like you still don't understand what I'm trying to do, here.

Quote:
That is unfortunate, because your approach of decimating an entire episode down to 23.976 FPS will create problems in 30 FPS or 60 FPS sections that are much worse than judder.
So. Let me try to be even clearer.

I don't care about the output frame rate.
I don't care about the output container.
I don't care about the file extension.

Why, then, am I mucking around with 23.976 fps footage? Because it exists. Why have I converted to every other frame rate? To see what they look like. To see which gives the best output.

Why did I output to 119.88 fps? Because the AviSynth Wiki declares that 119.88 fps output is the most-compatible way to fix judder between 23.976 and 29.97 fps content.

I want good-looking video. Coming into this project, I had no idea what I needed to address in order to get it.

You keep talking about this project like I have declared: "I am going to create the best 23.976 fps encode of DS9 because it MUST BE IN 23.976.

I couldn't give two s**** and a whistle if the final output frame rate is 23.976, 29.97, 35, 42, 49, 60, or 119.88 fps. I don't really care if the output is 1fps, but we play back the content 23.976x faster than normal, if the end result was good-looking footage.

I will admit to one practical boundary: I just spent eight days waiting for an RTX 2080 to finish upscaling "Emissary" after I did a 119.88 fps conversion on it but *before* I applied any other filters or processing. I did it once, so I'd be able to compare the output to future attempts to process the footage, but there's no way I'm waiting four days to process each and every episode of the television show.

I'd like to keep the total processing time below the 24-hour mark per episode, keeping in mind that VEAI imposes a 10 hour encode time all of its own. The DaVinci Studio runs currently take about two hours, so my current process is a minimum of 12 hours of processing per episode.

But that's it. That's all I care about. I'm not wedded to 23.976 fps. I have worked on a 23.976 fps version because my intent is to publish instructions for upscaling the show depending, in part, on what frame rate you want to target. Do you want 23.976 fps? Then I want a workflow for it. I was creating simultaneous comparison shots for 23.976, 29.97, 48, 60, and 119.88 so that people could choose what worked best for them.

I'd like nothing more than to be able to tell people: "Use this process to arrive at the best final project frame rate that will look better than[list of options previously enumerated]. Don't bother screwing around with this other stuff. Just do this."

But I can't possibly tell people that if I don't know what all of the other speeds look like. If I can find one solution that looks better than anything else, I'll recommend it. If I can't, I'll recommend multiple solutions and show people the outputs so they can choose for themselves.

I haven't just explored one frame rate. I've explored like, six frame rates simultaneously. I don't care which one of them the final project uses. I care which one of them makes the final project look the best.

Last edited by JoelHruska; 16th May 2020 at 18:29.
JoelHruska is offline   Reply With Quote