View Single Post
Old 21st July 2019, 19:51   #42  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Git has always worked fine for me on Windows, but I use the official Git for Windows, which I told to use the Windows SSL library, and not whatever mingw uses with its own certificate stuff.
Well ++ FWIW ++ just-for-the-record:

I moved from MSYS1 to MSYS2 in 2016, and since then I have used only and always a sufficient subset of the ~portable git package~ downloaded from the official Git source

[But between 2011 and 2016 I used a tiny subset of the extinct msysgit, and that tiny subset "just worked" as well.]

Because I just want to download source-code through git, and because I still hadn't found a git server that refuses the git protocol, there was no problem for me in using just some .EXEs instead of the entire git package.

Let's be honest, at least for needs like mine, git is BLOATWARE and bloatware is pure evil

Not to mention that its Windows port is not as good as their creators and maintainers believe...
for example, I don't see the point
(assuming there is a (good) point)
in hardcoding exec_path = /mingw##/libexec/git-core in the Windows releases.
Why didn't they choose /usr instead?

Anyway, fortunately I discovered that placing the folders *ssl* and *git-core* in the same parent directory is what git.exe requires for dealing with HTTPS
(both under the MSYS2 environment and under cmd.exe).

Last edited by filler56789; 21st July 2019 at 20:08. Reason: clarity
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote