View Single Post
Old 13th July 2019, 20:49   #5  |  Link
manolito

I think with DVDs it is pretty much the same as with Audio CDs:

They have been pronounced dead many times, but still they exist and will continue to exist for a long time to come.

Of course movie sales on physical media are declining due to streaming, but for the physical media which are sold today DVDs are far ahead of BluRay. And BluRay is not closing the gap now, and I believe it never will.

The DVD format has a lot of advantages over the "modern" formats. It is the most compatible format by far, a DVD structure (maybe in an ISO file) will play everywhere. An AVC or HEVC video in an MKV or MP4 container may or may not play on a current TV (depending on the philosophy of the manufacturer). How often have I sent an MKV or MP4 to a friend who complained that the player will not honor the chapter points? Many many times. This just does not happen with a DVD.

And finally it is easy for a DVD to author it with nice looking menus using free tools. For BluRays you need to spend big bucks to get menus (with the possible exception of MultiAVCHD, but this is not BluRay compliant). Not to speak about the huge learning curve until you master creating BluRay menus.

So please stop bashing the MPEG2 video format and DVDs. Just don't use it if you think that this format has no right to exist in 2019...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 13th July 2019 at 20:52.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote