View Single Post
Old 21st April 2010, 14:46   #7839  |  Link
hautem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Several of the settings you mentioned are not meant to be manually modified and are set by menu selections. Only the items listed in "HIDDENOPTS.TXT" are meant to be directly user modifiable.

AUTO_BIAS isn't an extension of ENCODE_QUALITY. AUTO_BIAS simply sets thresholds for when BD-RB changes settings to higher quality levels (ENCODE_QUALITY) when in "Automatic" mode (AUTO_QUALITY). You will find that there actually is a time when BD-B will select "High Quality" and One-Pass when in "Automatic" mode.

If you like using two-pass -- then use it. You just have to deselect "Automatic"..
Thanks - understand manually modified vs. menu items - just wanted to make sure I understood what menu items were being translated to what specific line items in the .ini file vs. those that may be added in hiddenopts etc.

I probably have it backwards, but I would have thought that more robust encoding would be indicated in "Automatic" when compressing (if that's the right word) to a smaller space - e. g. 1-Pass ABR seems fine from all accounts going to BD25, but maybe at times not so well going to BD9. Plus, it's bypassing "Better" altogether and down to "Good" in the encoding quality calculation for the two that I mentioned. Maybe I'll give 1-Pass ABR at the "High Quality" setting a try and see how that nets out speed vs. pic quality. Yes, 2-Pass at "High Quality" has been a no-brainer for me full disc to BD9 across the board. Maybe there's no free lunch here.

BTW - for anyone that may be interested in evaluating video quality on a still frame basis (saw this in another post), you can do screen captures in VLC Media Player playing .mt2s files. I leave the output format set to .png (.jpg appears far too compressed) in preferences and use single frame advance to navigate. The time counter doesn't seem to work for .mt2s files, so you'll have to wing it to capture identical frames. I use Irfanview to quickly toggle between captures.
hautem is offline   Reply With Quote