View Single Post
Old 15th November 2019, 18:10   #543  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
I think that it is a shame that developers like you show so little regard…
This is the same discussion when I dropped support for XP. And I'm just as unsympathetic to your arguments. No one is forcing you to do anything, least of all using Windows 10. Looks like I have to re-iterate a couple of points about Open Source software in general and MKVToolNix in particular:
  • This is Open Source software. You get the source code. You can do anything you want with it. Don't like that XYZ doesn't work on Windows 7? Well, you get all the source to fix problems yourself or get someone else to fix them for you.
  • Just because I'm offering a program doesn't mean I'm under any obligation to make it suit your particular use case.
  • You don't even have to keep using Windows. MKVToolNix is a cross-platform product, and I've been offering (and will continue to) binaries for various Linux distributions as well as macOS. Switching from W7 doesn't mean you must switch to W10.
  • The best way to protect your privacy is not staying with an unsupported, proprietary operating system, but switching to an updated, free one instead. Like Linux. Or one of the BSDs. If privacy were really that important to you, you'd chose that route. But I'd wager you won't, which only means that privacy is either just a pretext for not liking Windows 10, or you're just angry that I don't value your personal level of privacy concerns the same as you.
  • You get something for free here. I don't owe you anything, and I'm 100% free to chose what I spend my time on.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote