View Single Post
Old 28th November 2011, 13:14   #27  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Well I won't argue about older DVDs, but I'd certainly agree regarding most newer DVDs, which is the point I was making originally.
I agree with you that most (maybe even almost all) newer Hollywood film DVDs, for whatever reason, are using the non-ITU method (strictly talking about PAL discs here, don't know about NTSC ones), but it does not mean any new DVD is likely to do that because it also depends a lot on where the video originates from and what kind of "video" it is.
Footage that was shot with video cameras (in contrast to film cameras which requires a film->digital transfer) is much much more likely to follow ITU (yes, even today). In other words, footage that was shot to be viewed on a TV only, not in the cinema.
If you buy a DVD of a TV soap opera or something that was shot with SD(!) video cameras then you can be almost certain that it is following ITU, even if all 720 pixels of the DVD are filled (this is due to the fully digital recording and transfer to DVD). If it was shot using HD video cameras things depend on how it was downscaled, if all 720 pixels are containing picture then it is probably using non-ITU.
Of course, still, having all 720 pixels filled or not is not a fool proof method, but it's something to consider if you're willing to try and find out which one is correct.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 28th November 2011 at 13:28.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote