View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2014, 15:41   #5  |  Link
TheLostSkeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktank View Post
Why not save to AVI with lossless video compression, like UT Video Codec Suite?
Limiting yourself to FFMPEG only is quite a drawback to NLE editing. Lossless video codecs should be VFW-friendly, which in turn, should be friendly for Sony Vegas.

It shouldn't take much at all to index the recorded stream and then frameserve it to VirtualDub via Avisynth for a lossless video format to edit in Sony Vegas.
I'd say I'd be worried about disk space, but these MJPEG files are getting rather large; a 1gb M2TS file can easily turn in to 6-10gb AVI, and that's probably comparable (or worse, even) to a lossless file.

I'm not especially familiar with Avisynth, though. I poked at it once a few years ago but never bothered to learn much of anything about it; how much setup are we talking, here? Part of the reason I was using FFMPEG is because I've actually written a (strictly for personal use) FFMPEG front-end before and I had planned on finding encoding settings that "worked" and adapting them to that, automating the conversion process so I could do large groups of files easily.

From what I remember about Avisynth, wouldn't I have to write a separate script file for each individual video?
TheLostSkeleton is offline   Reply With Quote