View Single Post
Old 28th November 2018, 19:13   #94  |  Link
Khun_Doug

Maupassant, I too am a big fan of mClean. I have a fondness for older movies, including B&W that date back into the late 1930's and forward. Obvious with these, even being digitized, they just have a lot of noise. The B&W films tend to have contrast variations in the scenes, including areas such as faces. None of the filters I tried was able to handle these artifacts as well as mClean. SMderain is the closest.

I tried the VS port of mClean and find it unusable. My observations are that the VS port is considerably slower and consumes a tremendous amount of CPU. The output was noticeably soft, almost as though everything was blurred because it was so soft. I use the default settings, same as I do for the AVS version. It saturated all cores on the PC and then was slow to step forward screen by screen. I'm using an I7-6850K with 6 cores, 12 threads. The VS port is not usable for me.

My suggestion is to use something like AVSPmod (I think that is the name of the editor) and build your own script there. Once you have the script done, use something like Virtualdub or Virtualdub2 to write the output file as an uncompressed (lossless) file. Yes, the output file will be large, perhaps 150 GB or more. But then you can process that using Staxrip and do a 2 pass or even 3 pass encode. In the instances where I just couldn't get Staxrip to handle the initial steps, I used this approach and it worked well.

If you need some sample AVS scripts, I can provide some examples to get you going. All the filters and plug-ins are freeware.