View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:20   #47  |  Link
hello_hello

I'm a bit confused by this. The ABC describes a 702 pixel width as a "legacy" format.
The info below adds up to the whole 720 pixel width containing picture, but what's the result of the "digital Betacam format" part of the spec. Is it the same as analogue where the aspect ratio is a little wider than 4:3 (only 704 width), or is it 4:3 in and 4:3 out when it's digital? If the latter is the case and the same process is used for DVDs, they'd have an exact 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio too, I assume.

From 2011 (pdf link): http://www.abc.net.au/tv/independent...s_Aug_2011.pdf

Introduction
The following specifications are based on current and commonly accepted standards. The ABC thanks the BBC, Free TV Australia (Federation of Australian Commercial Television Stations), SMPTE, EBU, ITU, Dolby Laboratories and the Sony Corporation.

STANDARD DEFINITION
2.2.1 The Supplier shall deliver the product as a Standard Definition Television (SDTV) videotape recording in the Digital Betacam Format. The video tape recording shall be 625 lines at 25 frames per second and interlaced 2:1 (576/50i). This shall be in agreement with the specifications of Recommendation ITU-R BT. 601-5, SMPTE 259M (as revised).
2.2.3 All SDTV programs produced using modern digital equipment shall have narrow horizontal blanking, ie. active vision shall be 720 horizontal pixels wide. Legacy programs with 702 pixel wide vision (wide horizontal blanking) will also be acceptable. A single program shall have consistent blanking throughout.
2.2.4 All SDTV widescreen programs shall have 720 pixels x 576 lines active picture area

Last edited by hello_hello; 2nd June 2017 at 11:26.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote