View Single Post
Old 4th June 2017, 10:50   #51  |  Link
Ghitulescu

People keep telling me BBC had shot on film.
However, all BBC movies and serials I have bought here in Germany, all look like they have been if not shot at least edited, and if not edited then at least one intermediary copy was on tape. Maybe UK-market is fed with better editions, who knows....?

That is, at least once IMHO they had to work with non-square pixels. And this has been done according to their own rules. However, BBC does not manufacture any equipment. So they rely on foreign manufacturers, Sony, JVC, Panasonic. The way they implement what BBC requires may vary.

This Babel thing happens everywhere in the world where such methods are used. I was therefore one of the most early supporters of the BD, from the consumer point of view, for it eradicated (in the sense of WHO ) the rectangular PARs - and reverted to the natural way, of identical units on each scale. Yes, for compatibility sake BD kept some very used PARs, but it provided the technical/formal provision for an undisturbed view.

The correct way of resizing an image is to find a circle or a square or anything that can give (disclose ) the real ratio.