View Single Post
Old 14th July 2017, 18:39   #1214  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadlerg View Post
I don't wish to open a discussion about screen resolution, but that is obvious VGA is superior to CGA or EGA.
Right, but here, the ORIGINAL resolution is 1920x1080 per view. If you encode in Full-SBS or Full-T&B, the resolution is untouched, without any resize. It's obviously the best way to preserve the original quality. If you upscale the views to double the height or width, the gain is minimal, since you can only extrapolate new pixels out of the existing ones. Actually, even with a good resize filter, the quality IS somewhat degraded. However, I can agree that a good resize of the source can be (but is not necessarily) better than letting the TV doing it.
Quote:
Or better described 3840 x 1080 for the left and right eye is four times as many pixels as 1920 x 540 am I right?
UHD Half-T&B is only two times the number of original pixels, not 4x.
Quote:
If it's not straight enough - VerticalReduceBy2(X) throws away every second line so it will be never so nice as keeping all the lines.
Wrong. VerticalReduceBy2 use a much more sophisticated algorithm, similar to bilinear or bicubic. No pixels are thrown away. A resize to shrink an image does NOT need complex resize filters, as no new pixels are created. And it's even more simple to divide the height exactly by 2. In this precise case, you cannot do a better job than with VerticalReduceBy2. I've checked several filters, and the ReduceBy2 filters are extremely good and fast. There is no reason to use a slower filter. And with my suggestion to encode in standard HD but in FULL-OU, the resolution of both images is unchanged, and the VerticalReduceBy2 filter is never used.
Quote:
Thanks for the link, but I will read the article tomorrow. I have to go.
Quote:
So for 4K UHD passive TV owners it would be nice to have the possibility to set the option for 3d 4k 10bit UHD. (for ex. DVDFab has it) I am kindly requesting the feature if you mind.
Perhaps I'll do it, but it's not in my priority.
Quote:
I will experiment further but your recommended enlarging is not expecting the 4x data in the calculations so I do not know how the automatic settings for the encode will work.
That's correct. I forgot to explain that you have to select at least level 5. But I don't know much HEVC encoding, and currently, BD3D2MK3D doesn't handle the x265 levels anyway, even for standard HD Half or Full-SBS/T&B. You have to specify the correct options yourself.

Last edited by r0lZ; 15th July 2017 at 15:52.