View Single Post
Old 15th March 2008, 21:40   #19  |  Link
mattsmith321

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria View Post
What do you mean by date-stamped? If you mean the date information is in the file but not burned onto the video itself, *any* DV capture application will do that. If you want the date on the video permanently, WinDV won't do that. You have to use it in conjunction with another program to add the date afterwards or use a separate program that does both simultaneously. Which is better depends on exactly what you are after.
I just meant that I let WinDV name each clip according to the tape date info. I use the following filename formatting: %Y-%m-%d. Most of the stuff in my head is organized chronologically, so I like having all of my clips named according to the date of the clip. The fact that WinDV could do that and split the clips based on a discontinuity threshold were exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria View Post
Copying tapes to new DV tapes - everything on the tape is duplicated EXCEPT for the timecode. So, if your original captured information is in any way dependent on the timecode, you may have a problem down the road. e.g., if your editing program has created clips and noted the timecode so you can recapture them at a later date then the copy of the tape won't work properly.
That is interesting (and will probably be annoying). Thanks for the heads-up. If it's not one thing, it's another. You just gave Ron another reason for why I should keep the original clips. He must work for one of the hard drive manufacturers. Just kidding.