View Single Post
Old 20th July 2013, 15:30   #53  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Opt-out:
[-] Players might show subs twice until player is capable of blocking the use of the interface.

Opt-in:
[+] Simpler interface.
[-] Player can't use the interface until it adds support for loading a provider.
You didn't list the key advantage of Opt-in, though, which is:

[+] Makes external subtitle tracks work automatically with every media player.

Please don't under-estimate that. Maybe some day madVR will work in media players which don't explicitly support it. Maybe LAV Video Decoder will become a subtitle consumer and thus make the use of XySubFilter possible in all media players. Furthermore I think it's easy enough in most (all?) media players to simply disable the internal subtitle rendering engine, so the disadvantage of "Opt-out" you mentioned is a simple configuration issue the end-user can take care of himself.

I very much understand your point of view, though, and if the majority of developers prefers removing auto-loading in its current form, I will bow to the majority. I just think it really needs to be carefully considered. And my suggestion to support disabling of the auto-loading by the media player still stands. Actually, I've just released madVR v0.86.10, which already supports my suggested method to disable auto-loading...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote