View Single Post
Old 24th May 2018, 19:02   #6154  |  Link
The Stilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
There are no such things you describe, like IPC advantage or single instance encoding or even encoding below 1080p .

You seem desperate to prove Threadripper is lame compared to Skylake-X, by manipulating the user conditions.
Do you really think that the IPC advantage of a CPU has anything to do with a 10C/20T vs 16C/32T comparison ?

At the end of the day we are comparing final products and not just architectures at very specific situations.

Because those two CPUs have the same price.

Skylake-X is a choice for Intel's fanboys or for people who can afford burn money in the fireplace during the winter.
"There are no such things" can you elaborate a bit on that?

I have both, the 7960X and 1950X.
Even if I had only the 7900X, I'd still use it for HEVC encoding rather than the 1950X due to speed and higher efficiency.

Obviously in other multithreaded workloads the 1950X will annihilate the 7900X, but that's not the case with X265.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1085 View Post
I'm not seeing these gains with my AVX512 testing. Can you check if I have the right CLI options?

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175467
Have you monitored the average clock frequency of the CPU cores between AVX2 and AVX512 options? At least on my 7960X the current AVX512 implementation in X265 does not trigger the AVX512 clock offset, however I'm not certain if the rules are the same for Xeons as well. I'd suggest you limit the encoder threads to a lower number (e.g. 8, --pools "8") and test again. At 205W power limit and 24 cores you are definitely hitting the power limits, which causes high variation in the frequency. Also, try using a raw YUV input (file) for the encoder, instead of piping the video from ffmpeg.
The Stilt is offline   Reply With Quote