View Single Post
Old 14th November 2019, 10:57   #5  |  Link
astronob

Well, adding color=0 and color=1 both give me a picture with Qtinput, but color=0 output is noticeably darker than color=1 (RGB24, vs RGB32), but is closer to the source color. Here is the info from using Qtinput in avisynth+. As mentioned in another thread in doom9, mode=4 gives me very similar, but not quite identical color. On the source, the whites are a little brighter, but I compared using qtinput with mode=0, color=4 (or color=0, both produce identical output) and straight ffms2 to input the video, and the output looks the same to me. It's a shame Qtinput hasn't been further developed to allow the input of 10bit and greater video bit depth. Perhaps if we all raised a petition we could persuade tateu to develop it a bit more. :-P

Here is the small sample video I'm using (the file will stay up for 30 days before it's deleted.

https://ufile.io/zazzgey7

It's a VHS rip. I was basically trying to clean the grain/noise from the video while preserving the best detail, by running some filters on it in an avisynth script. I know it's always a compromise, remove more grain, lose more detail etc. I've tried the inbuilt filter of QTGMC (EZdenoise), I've tried temporaldegrain, temporaldegrain2 and MCTD. I liked the output of MCTD, but some detail was lost on "VeryHigh" settings, plus it's crazy sloooow, like 1.5 hours to encode a 3.5 minute video. The others I can get faster output. I ended up installing Avisynth+, which was where the input error for Qtinput started, which worked fine in Avisynth 2.6. Nevertheless, mode=0, color=4 seems to allow input now for Qtinput. I would ask, those with more experience in scripting, if you want to try your hand on improving the output from that small sample, what script could people suggest to clean up that grain while still delivering a detailed picture? And doing it in a reasonable time if possible. The VHS player delivers pretty good detail, and almost no scan line on the bottom, so I don't have to crop the video, but it does output a bit more grain in the outputted video than other VHS players I've tried. Anyway, any suggestions would be most welcome, as my experience in this area is limited. Thanks.

Last edited by astronob; 14th November 2019 at 11:15.
astronob is offline   Reply With Quote