Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Scan order                               : 2:3 Pulldown
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Time code of first frame                 : 01:00:00;00
Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
When the items in RED exist, ignore what is in BLUE and just copy the MPEG-2 file without mucking with it. Or better yet, remove the 2:3 pulldown flags and output it as 23.976p, which is what I really want. But, the BD book that I have indicates that 480p23.976 is not legal.

Experiment Update: I took one of the files and ran it thru TSMuxer and set it to remove the pulldown and then ran that thru BDRB. BDRB left it alone. I then played it on my Samsung BD player and it did not care that it was 480p23.976. As that violates the BD spec, BDRB will never do what I did. That said, The issues discovered still need to be resolved, as other users may have come across this problem.
No. BD-RB actually looks at the PTS of all the frames to make sure MEDIAINFO is right. If it says the framerate is variable -- it is variable.

BTW: BD-RB will do what you said it won't (remove the pulldown flags and keep intact)... you just have to make sure you use the proper settings. I've mentioned numerous times in this thread that 720x480@23.976fps isn't a part of the standard -- but is supported by every player so I allow it. In fact, since you said "...and then ran it through BDRB. BDRB left it alone.", I guess that is self evident. Of course, on most players you can leave the pulldown flags in and the player has the ability to playback at the original FILM rate anyway.

I'll download your sources and check it out. I think I may know what change I made that caused BD-RB to misinterpret the source aspect on your 720x480 source. Not sure though.

The file import module (especially for 720x480) has become really convoluted from all the "adjustments" I have made for the stupid things people do when they reencode and post video files. I just ran into one the other day where someone wanted to keep a 4:3 source at a standard 720x480 resolution -- so they resized the picture to 640x480 and added black borders. Tell me how I'm supposed to adjust for that...

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th October 2018 at 14:50.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote