View Single Post
Old 14th October 2018, 15:50   #27846  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
No. BD-RB actually looks at the PTS of all the frames to make sure MEDIAINFO is right. If it says the framerate is variable -- it is variable.
Just what is considered variable? Nobody, that I know of, encodes MPEG-2 video for DVD other than at 29.97 fps, or 23.976 fps with pulldown flags for 29.97 output. In the sample that I've made available, the true fps is supposedly 23.976. When I have TSMuxer remove the pulldown flags, the result is 23.976 fps. BDRB doesn't complain about it being variable. If mediainfo doesn't say it is variable, maybe you don't check the PTS for variable.

On another project, a few of the files resulted in TSMuxer giving the following warnings:
Code:
Warning! Source stream contain irregular pulldown marks. Mistiming between original fps and fps/1.25(without pulldown) exceed 100ms.
Warning! Source stream contain irregular pulldown marks. Mistiming between original fps and fps/1.25(without pulldown) exceed 200ms.
Warning! Source stream contain irregular pulldown marks. Mistiming between original fps and fps/1.25(without pulldown) exceed 400ms.
The sample I provided has no such warnings, so I'm guessing not variable frame rate. So, I'm confused as to where the variable frame rate is coming from.

Quote:
BTW: BD-RB will do what you said it won't (remove the pulldown flags and keep intact)... you just have to make sure you use the proper settings.
And just how does one get BDRB to remove the pulldown flags? What are the proper settings? So many settings.
Quote:
I've mentioned numerous times in this thread that 720x480@23.976fps isn't a part of the standard -- but is supported by every player so I allow it. In fact, since you said "...and then ran it through BDRB. BDRB left it alone.", I guess that is self evident. Of course, on most players you can leave the pulldown flags in and the player has the ability to playback at the original FILM rate anyway.
I suppose I should have figured that since you didn't barf on 480p23.976 (like you do some DD+ audio), that you were accepting it.
Quote:
I'll download your sources and check it out. I think I may know what change I made that caused BD-RB to misinterpret the source aspect on your 720x480 source. Not sure though.
As noted, it isn't just the aspect ratio. It is the mucking with the frame rate that is an issue. Telling it to not do VFR checking and that resulting in 19.181 fps setting and when it does do VRF checking and it produced 59.94 fps. So, getting BDRB to leave the SD file well enough alone, with the pulldown flags, would be great. I just do not know how to get there. Maybe the sample will help.
Quote:
The file import module (especially for 720x480) has become really convoluted from all the "adjustments" I have made for the stupid things people do when they reencode and post video files. I just ran into one the other day where someone wanted to keep a 4:3 source at a standard 720x480 resolution -- so they resized the picture to 640x480 and added black borders. Tell me how I'm supposed to adjust for that...
You don't. You just tell the person that what they did was wrong, pure and simple.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote