View Single Post
Old 24th August 2018, 17:10   #52174  |  Link
direxx

Hi,

I have a question regarding color space and bit depth. I have a TV with a 10-bit panel and HDR support. I am on Windows 10 1803 with a Radeon RX580 (connected to TV over HDMI 2.0). From what I understand I need to set the output of my graphics card to these options to get HDR support:

- Bit Depth: 10 Bit
- Color Format: YCbCr 4:2:2

In MadVR I set these display properties:

- Native Bit Depth: 10 Bit
- RGB levels: Full PC Levels (0-255)

I know that this setting will result in an additional conversion step. The problem now though is that black levels are totally crushed on my TV, even if I set the RGB level in madVR to "Limited". This cannot be a result from the additional YCbCr conversion, something must be going wrong here. Unfortunately I cannot set the HDMI black level on my TV when the input signal is YCbCr - as far as I understand YCbCr always has the same black level.

The only workaround I found is using RGB Full @8Bit (both in GPU driver and madVR), but then HDR does not work any more. What am I doing wrong?

BTW: Without MadVR I can use the GPU setting "10 Bit with YCbCr 4:2:2" without any blacklevel issues (in e.g. MPC-BE), but I'd like to use madVR for better upscaling and HDR metadata passthrough.

Thanks in advance,
direxx

Last edited by direxx; 24th August 2018 at 17:15.
direxx is offline   Reply With Quote