View Single Post
Old 16th September 2017, 16:43   #45645  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
But, thinking about your question and reviewing my tests, i would say, for me, on my machine, there isnt really a reason for the FSE Mode, (that is, if this "color" thing is a placebo), or if i stumble on something again and FSE would help..

Heres a quote of the guides i was reading back then. (taken from the jriver wiki)

That was kinda also the reason for using it, and the preventing of notifications also is a huge PLUS for me..
FSE mode could give better performance and less glitches on Windows 7, but if it doesn't as per your testing then it doesn't have much advantage over Windowed.
As for that JRiver advice, Windowed more can also present frames in advance (I don't know if it was a limitation when that was written).
For the colours, do you have a calibration profile enabled? That's the only thing I see that could change colours between FSE and Windowed.
Maybe try "Windowed Overlay" mode too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
You can call GameBar with Winkey + G and disable/enable gamemode for every 3D application.
I btw. downgraded to Win 10 Anniversary Update because of stuttering in games. I guess it's not impossible that the Creators Update could show problems also in conjuction with madVR (however, I didn't experience that).
I initially updated to Creators on ryrynz' suggestion to see if game mode could bring more consistent performance for MediaPortal, but it was the opposite: with Game Mode, just seeking or displaying MediaPortal's OSD or GUI would make playback stutter like mad, sometimes freezing for many seconds.
Edit: I think Game Mode isn't made for processes that need to regularly read and/or write from/to disk, maybe it slows down all storage I/O as that's what slows down games most of the time? Anyway I think it doesn't work for media playback.
Windows couldn't keep Game Mode enabled for MPC-HC no matter how many times I checked "This is a game" and "Remember this as a game" so I couldn't test with MPC-HC, but I ended up disabling Game Mode for MediaPortal and now everything is as good as on Anniversary.

Last edited by el Filou; 16th September 2017 at 16:47.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote