View Single Post
Old 24th January 2018, 17:12   #14  |  Link
Bexley

I did my annual reformat/reinstall of Windows this week, and I decided to also make the move to Avisynth+ while I was at it. I've played around with it a little in the past but never felt like it was mature enough to make the switch, but I looked at the current ported plugin list and decided to take the plunge. Using r2580-MT

Having some issues, though. I'm finding it rather unstable compared to 2.6MT. I'm converting my DVD collection to x264 for use in my media server, so I'm ripping DVDs and serving from AVS to MeGUI. MT performance seems to be around 20% slower than 2.6 no matter how many prefetch threads I use, and I get random hangs during encoding that I never used to get. I've also seen some encodes just abort for no apparent reason in the middle. I never had any of these issues before with 2.6, and some of this (particularly MT speed) was the reason I never stayed with it before. On some shows I use no filtering and have no issues, on others (old ones) I use a combination of TemporalDegrain and RemoveDirtMC

Typical 2.6 script where I encode in real time.

Code:
SetMTMode(3)
DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\ADVENTURES_OF_SUPERMAN_DISC_3\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.d2v", info=3)
SetMTMode(2)
TemporalDegrain(degrain=1,ov=2,hq=1)
RemoveDirtMC(25)
Greyscale()
For AVS+ I use the MT mode list here and autoload it as mtmodes.avsi. I get 18-20fps with this script. (it's a 6 core CPU and I've tried everything from 4 to 12 threads)

Code:
DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\ADVENTURES_OF_SUPERMAN_DISC_3\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.d2v", info=3)
TemporalDegrain(degrain=1,ov=2,hq=1)
RemoveDirtMC(25)
Greyscale()
Prefetch(8)
About 1 in 4 encodes will actually complete without hanging, which makes it essentially useless for me. Is this just the state of AVS+, or maybe a compatibility issue with plugins? Any ideas?
Bexley is offline   Reply With Quote