View Single Post
Old 29th April 2014, 01:36   #26299  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD51 View Post
thanks for the replies guys...

My apologies for not stating my equipment.
CPU 3570K
Display is 1080p (projector JVC RS45)
Videocard is HD7770
MadVR settings:
Chroma upscaling: NNED13 - 16 neurons
Image doubling: all ticked
Image Upscaling: Jinc 3 taps- AARF ticked and so isscale-in linear light
Image downscaling: Catmull-Rom AARF ticked only
Smooth motion: enabled - middle one selected

1080p files play super smooth no problems whatsover.
I'll try remuxing the files to see of that works.

anything else I can check?

thank you again...
I have never seen someone recommend linear light for image upscaling but I do prefer it for downscaling. You seem to have them set backwards? AARF? You mean Anti Ringing (AR, always good)?

If you want to try doubling try it without NNEDI3 chroma scaling. I prefer Jinc3 chroma + NNEDI3 32 luma doubling to NNEDI3 16 chroma + no luma doubling (Jinc3 image) but the first does take more GPU power than the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Having everything checked for image doubling is where I think your problem lies. Many people (including myself) automatically get dropped frames when having Chroma resolution double checked. Try with only the Luma double checked and see if it runs without dropped frames.

Since your default resolution of 1080 and the 1080 file match there is no doubling occurring, so that would be why you don't see it occurring with 1080 files.
A lot of people seem to be confused how these work. It isn't that you "automatically get dropped frames when having Chroma resolution double checked" it is that chroma doubling is twice as hard as luma doubling and it all adds up (also chroma doubling doesn't help quality very much). Watch your average render times and keep them below the movie frame interval. Ctrl-J is your friend and the change in the "average render time" stat tells you the exact cost of different options with whatever resolution is currently playing. Don't simply start ticking all the NNEDI3 options; remember NNEDI3 is for punishing video cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Are you using profiles for doubling? My profile for 1080p content uses no doubling at all, since it's unneeded unless you have a TV or other display that is larger than 1920x1080.
It wouldn't matter if you turned it on for 1080p displayed at 1080p, even if set to "always" madVR will not double if no scaling needs to be done.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote