View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2017, 23:01   #3051  |  Link
manolito

Hi MrC,
basically I believe that you are absolutely right. My thoughts so far - please keep in mind that I do not know all that much about NTSC...

The MotionProtectedFPS routine is quite deprecated these days. Using MVTools2 the results can be much better, but of course at the cost of a slower speed.

A while ago I stumbled upon a script suggestion by johnmeyer which IMO could beat everything I had seen before. I called it "jm_fps", the name did stick somehow. See here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...39#post1800439

The script defaults work well for most sources except for anime (where you often need a higher block size of 32 and maybe a DCT value of 1). The speed is slower than for MotionProtectedFPS, but still very usable.

There is another approach by MysteryX which is based on this jm_fps script, but adds artifact masking. Still slower, sometimes very useful, sometimes not. I simplified it quite a bit and called it "mx_fps", get it here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...50#post1805050

I also uploaded an ALL In ONE package which you can download from this page.

But still this motion interpolation approach is not for everyone, with some sources it just does not work too well. Another challenge is that today we encounter a lot more different source formats than we did earlier, and getting the best approach to convert these formats to DVD is not easy.

For a 30p source when the target format is NTSC then of course using ChangeFPS would be the preferred choice. If the target format is PAL then the users have to decide if they can live with a lot of dropped frames, or if a motion interpolated conversion is required. The same applies to 60p sources.

Recently here in Germany the switch to DVB-T2 brought some more confusion for me. The video format is now HEVC, it is always progressive at 50 fps. For film sources they just duplicate frames (looks like they first speed up 24fps sources to 25fps and then just duplicate each frame). But for video sources (news, soaps, sports) there are no duplicate frames, the captured clips have 50 unique progressive frames per second. Can we still use SelectEven() for such sources, or is it better to interpolate? And which method is best to convert such sources to 29.97fps for NTSC? Decimate (or convert) to 25p first and then apply NTSC slowdown followed by soft pulldown? Or better interpolate from 50p to 29.97p directly? I have no idea...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 3rd October 2017 at 23:15.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote