Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 16th September 2013, 21:21   #17  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
Thanks for contributing to Avisynth! You really made it hard to merge upstream though, since you have a lot of changes at once and with the project files reshuffling, it is sort of like a "code dump" for the upstream/original developers.

Ideally, the changes should be reviewed and then adopted, but in this form, it will be hard to do...
I understand that my "patches" are a lot of code. However, nobody is forcing IanB to review and merge them in one night. My commits are on GitHub and they won't go anywhere. He could take them one-by-one, and review and merge them over a course of 2-3 weeks or more. Just because I published them all at once does not mean they need to be reviewed all at once, especially because they are broken up into lots of small commits, with only a few exceptions towards the beginning.

EDIT: I'd like to make it clear just once more, that me shuffling files should not make it that much harder to incorporate the changes. Because I have always done the "moving files" and "changing contents" in separate commits. So if upstream ever comes to a commit of mine which moved files, all he has to do is move files. Anything that changes contents will show up as a new commit, so there is never a case of a change being hidden just because the whole file shows up as new falsely. There is no friendlier or more respecting way to move files than this (except for the case when Ian moved to Git or SVN, in which case he wouldn't even have to move the files by hand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
... and all efforts have tried to modernize it are either forks (Avisynth-MT, Avisynth 64) or completely different projects (Avisynth 3, VapourSynth). ...
If you want to get anything done, I suggest you either fork or start contributing to VapourSynth.
Well, I guess it is time for me to present my full story. I have known Avisynth for a very long time, but until about 8-9 months ago, I only new about some of its forks. So I've began laying out plans how I could implement a better Avisynth, because no matter how much I liked Avisynth, its flaws did (and do) bother me. Off the top of my head my ideas were: built for multithreading in its core, video frames should be taggable by custom information, 64-bit compatbility, cross-platform support, just to name a few. In one word: very (too?) ambitious. I had absolutely no time to implement this though until a few months passed. About half a year ago then, I started laying out an improved .avs scripting language, with full support for old scripts, but better language features, like proper multiline if-blocks, multiple return values, and some more. Actually, that was the sole reason I ported the Gold Parser to C++. But I've done more than just port Gold Parser, I've even written and tested its language definition input file for my improved .avs syntax, in correct EBNF(-like) form and being able to parse!

Then, about this time, a "strange" (LOL) idea struck me: What if others have also started to make something that I was just planning to? So I fired up Google, and have found VapourSynth and Avxsynth. I saw that VapourSynth set mostly the same goals as I did, which was cool, but I was *very* annoyed by its choice of Python. Yes, it is a more powerful language, but also much harder to learn and use, and the syntax as implemented in VapourSynth is just too verbose. Anyway, I decided it is better if I help out one of the projects instead of just starting yet a another fork/alternative, and my decision fell to Avisynth. So after yet another few months of doing-other-things (diploma thesis, some free software, and looking for work), here I am contributing to Avisynth.

Btw, I updated my announcement post with a new binary that only requires a much older VC++ runtime. I also looked at the exception handling reported by Groucho2004, and right now my best bet is that the "old" behavior is pure luck. Because even in the old code (and there is no difference to this in my changes), if we run out of memory, new memory must still be reserved for the red error clip (unless there is a frame in the free-list). Now, if there was not enough memory to reserve a new frame, there is also the probability that there won't be enough memory to construct the error clip either -> in which case the code can only crash, both old and new. I have verified my code on countless other exceptions and for me they always correctly resulted in an error clip, and the only time my build crashed was when constructing the error clip failed due to low memory.

Last edited by ultim; 16th September 2013 at 21:54.