View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2017, 14:27   #25861  |  Link
Thaddäus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
22.1 to 22.5 would be within the range of correct sizing. As I've said before, that's purposeful because the outer edges of the disc are much more prone to failure/error. By keeping the disc in a smaller size range you are less likely to experience problems. It also keeps me from having to respond to people who think the failed burn is BD-RB's fault. But the 20.9 (as reported) would be outside what should be expected.
I tried "Girl on the Train" yesterday with a custom target size of 24500 MB (I was really trying to push it there) and it resulted in 23,2 GB and only 67 MB free space left on the disc. I never had any issues with burning discs even when almost the full capacity was used but I admit - only 67 MB left was quite close to the edge.

Then I gave "Deepwater Horizon" another try with those settings which resulted in 21,9 GB and something came to my mind: Could the Dolby Atmos-tracks on that disc be the reason for BD Rebuilder's miscalculation? Both audio-tracks in the main movie are in Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with a Dolby True HD 7.1-core. Maybe BD Rebuilder only gets something wrong here. The other discs I checked and which all were around 21,9 GB with the BD25-preset didn't have Atmos-tracks, so maybe that's the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Just my opinion/advice, but a disc written to capacity will hold about 23.3GB and that last 1GB (about 4%) or so isn't going to get you a noticeable improvement in quality, especially considering the risk. Of course, as always, I've added the ability to change the target size for anyone who disagrees.
You're right - under usual circumstancers 1 GB more or less for the whole disc shouldn't make a big difference in picture quality but I think when the bitrate gets as low as in my "Deepwater Horizon"-backup (only 4 MBit/s are very low, especially for such a film) it could make a difference. While I'm typing this I'm trying another backup of the film, now with a custom size of 25500 MB. If it follows the previous results this should now end up with around 22,9 GB which would be absolutely fine. And the main movie now got 5.687 kbps - compared to the 4.058 from the first backup with the BD25-preset this should be an improvement. Let's see what happens - fingers crossed.

EDIT: Not exactly 22,9 GB but hey - 22,8 GB are also OK.

Last edited by Thaddäus; 23rd April 2017 at 16:50.
Thaddäus is offline   Reply With Quote