View Single Post
Old 29th April 2017, 18:45   #25874  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
OK, got the videos and it took me all of <30 sec to determine why you are having issues.

It is not 2:3 pulldown telecine source. You have to leave it as 59.94. Why? Because the source contains true 59.94 fps source and 29.97 fps source repeat framed to 59.94 fps. There is zero 23.976 source telecined. Even if there was in other portions of the complete video, what I've seen is enough to stop you from trying to do IVTC.

Sorry, but that is why you are having issues.
Nothing to be sorry about. Ahhh...I think this help me come closer to understanding why some 59.94 fps will go to 23.976 and why some I have to use HandBrake still to get 29.97. When I use HandBrake I leave the Detelecine option "Off" in the Filters Tab, and the other filters "off" as well, but in the Video Tab I change the "framerate" to 23.976 or 29.97, and with this video I used 29.97. Then switch "Peak Framerate" to "Constant Framerate" and I notice totally smooth video. But I haven't found any info through HandBreak to find any filter switches like you can for AVISynth. But since it doesn't use AVISynth.. I'm not able to repeat this with BD-RB. HandBreak is a transcoder ONLY. But the video result is smooth, and I'm...not...a fan of transcoding. Since too much is "yanked" from the video which is already lower quality from Cable TV.

With a previous version of BD-RB, (49.xx)...??... I'd have to go back to check, anyway, then BD-RB was able to get 59.94 to 23.976 with IVTC, but since then it hasn't. So, I think there was a bug that JD caught. Laughing, I remember thinking, "Ahhh, man!! Back to HandBreak" since it wouldn't do it anymore.

Anyway, now I know there are 2 possible differences in 59.94, not just a "bug" causing a challenge. This is what's really complex to me and I'm attempting to understand it. Hence the joking friendly comment to Lathe a while back.

This is why I wondered if there's "switch" that could be added to BD-RB (not really knowing how else to ask the question) to "force?" a 23.976 or 29.97 framerate which HandBreak "seems" to do so a rerender without transcoding becomes possible. Hmm.. Really appreciate the continuity help with this. I also understand why JD prefers sources like this to be kept in original form.