Thread: VirtualDub2
View Single Post
Old 17th October 2018, 03:59   #675  |  Link
WorBry

OK, thanks both. So, if I understand correctly, its 'nearest neighbour' (point) up-sampling and it's the convolution averaged chroma sub-sampling that brings about the separation of the R/B and G channel plots on the Resolve Parade scope, which manifests as blur ?

Up-sampled in that example to r210, because Resolve wont import v410

I wonder then how Vegas Pro sub-samples 444 to 422 to achieve the outcome it does ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
"desireable" is debatable and depends on the situation - what looks good on a test pattern might not look so good on real material .
Which is fair point. Case in point - I freaked out when I saw the pattern of results produced when the 'original' Checker-444 (ProRes_4444) was exported to DNxHR_444 (10bit) in Resolve, and thought something must be wrong.

Only to discover that DNxHR_444 encoded with FFMPEG and DNxHD_444 exported from Avid Media Composer behaved the same way.

It was only after reading that DNxHR_444 encoding intentionally adds a small amount of blur to minimize aliasing/blocking that I came to terms with what looked like degradation on the scopes and checker pattern - reasonable explanation being the repeating 5x5 pixel checker pattern amplifies the blur. Still have some doubts that there is not more too it though.

Last edited by WorBry; 17th October 2018 at 04:23.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote