View Single Post
Old 14th November 2018, 18:29   #35  |  Link
Trench

Does this symptom already sound familiar: "My HEVC+AAC MP4 acts frozen. It allows me to seek to any offset and see the correct video frame at that offset, but refuses to actually play normally from start or from any offset. And the cause is somehow the AAC encoding."

Hopefully that symptom already means something to someone, for a known issue or something I'm doing wrong. But at minimum, maybe the information is useful to anyone else who might encounter the same unknown issue I did after switching to StaxRip 1.9.0.0, even though it appears to be an ffmpeg issue and not any kind of StaxRip issue.

Details:

After switching to 1.9.0.0, I came to realize that some of the Blu-Ray-to-MP4 work I was doing resulted in an MP4 which wouldn't "play". The symptom on playback through WMP12+LAVFilter was as though the playback was "permanently paused". It won't play upon opening, but I can seek to any offset I want, and I will get a correct frame of video displayed for that offset. But it will just stay "frozen" at that offset rather than actually "playing".

One of the Blu-Rays this happened with was one I had successfully processed through StaxRip 1.7.0.6 just days before, which got me looking at the tool differences as compared to 1.9.0.0. After trial and error and dividing and conquering, the difference seems to be ffmpeg.exe 4.0.2 versus the previous ffmpeg.exe 3.3.4. With these command lines:

Code:
ffmpeg.exe -i "Track1.flac" -q:a 4 -af dynaudnorm -ac 2 -y -hide_banner "Track1.m4a"
ffmpeg.exe -i "Track2.flac" -q:a 4 -af dynaudnorm -y -hide_banner "Track2.m4a"
...using the ffmpeg.exe 4.0.2 provided with StaxRip 1.9.0.0, the resulting AAC files when combined into the MP4 result in the described "frozen" symptom.

If I change nothing except to use ffmpeg.exe 3.3.4 from StaxRip 1.7.0.6 to re-encode the AAC using the same command lines and source files (and just muxing the the same previously-encoded HEVC output by x265.exe from 1.9.0.0, and still the same MP4Box from 1.9.0.0), the resulting MP4 now plays normally.

The same problem of "frozen" playback occurs with StaxRip 2.0.0.0 and the included "ffmpeg version N-92272-g0e9c01fd87", for what it's worth. Only reverting to use of the older ffmpeg.exe 3.3.4 from StaxRip 1.7.0.6 has allowed success thus far.

Last edited by Trench; 14th November 2018 at 18:36.