View Single Post
Old 12th October 2017, 12:16   #46504  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlaith View Post
This error is the new error when you can't save because the NVIDIA driver bugged up? doesn't look like the/a GPU/driver error.

After clicking "Ok" it reverts back to the previous resolution

Edit:
If I stop the timer, change the resolution in the NVIDIA control panel I get a very different message. (logical probably because I change resolutions in between)

Edit 2:
It just appears to be still in "test mode" in the NVIDIA API and thus not allowing to save it

Edit 3:
Checked with MadVR 0.9.2.0.3, it is 99% sure a MadVR bug.
On that version I can set pretty much any resolution and it will save it. Going back to 9.2.0.6 gives me the same behavior/error again.
So can you please fix that?
Looks to not exit/still be in "test mode" when you click save, thus giving the error it cannot save the active mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I'm trying to add a custom resolution in 95.6 using the custon resolution but it is impossible (nvidia).
Does this one fix the problem?

http://madshi.net/madHcCtrl.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterman View Post
No, it didn't. I just tried it again and it stays on "D3D9 exclusive (new path)" when the freeze image issue happens.

What you see in this video I recorded a couple of days earlier is what I get every time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljlp67uHH_0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Hybrid decoding (like HEVC on Kepler cards) is generally best to stay away from. Its usually slow and often presents problems if the GPU is under high load (ie. with high madVR settings).
^

I suppose as said as it might seem you may have to use software decoding. I'm not completely sure why it's only a problem with madVR and not with VMR9/EVR, maybe it's the higher GPU load, as nevcairiel suggests. Probably not something we can do anything about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarioman View Post
Yes, that toggle.
I'm not using any beta build.
I just updated to the latest nvidia drivers (387.92) (Also using latest madvr and LAV nightly).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcVMMBUVTmE
It looks like it's using both, nvidia and windows hdr, at the same time. Sometimes it works, sometimes colours look washed out.
I've unistalled everything and installed it back again. Not sure what else to do.

Edit- Rolled back to the previous nvidia driver. It's now working. I still need to open and close the player a few times before it displays hdr colours correctly though. It' s a hit and miss for me.
Thanks for the video. I'll have to double check with the latest Nvidia driver. Maybe it got broken again. If it did, I have a good contact to complain to. But it might take a couple of driver revisions before it's fixed again. For now please stick to an older driver.

Not sure, though, why you have to start & close multiple times, that doesn't seem to be the case for the other users. It may help to get back to very old drivers, ideally one directly before the (spring) Creator's Update was officially released. Those driver builds don't support the "HDR and Advanced Color" OS switch yet, and they were the most reliable drivers for HDR for Windows 10.

Alternatively you can do what I've been recommending for many many months now, and use Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 10. But nobody listens to me, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
I see your point and it was what I have suspected... I've never liked single-frame algo for denoising. If I compare to what I remember then your algo is the best I've seen in this category, definitely not bad but not to my taste.

Could you at least give the choice to select a lower strength?
Yes, lower strength random noise reduction coming in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
But on the other hand, I'm still amazed of what you have achieved with your RCA Each time I've tested this type of algo, I've ended up using a very low strength that made little to no difference. Your algo is definitely different, I think I will use it on all my DVDs!
Glad to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
Is it me, or RRN str1 is actually stronger than str2 ?
The next build will have all RRN strength settings revisited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Here's a comparison on overly compressed SD MPEG2 cable source:
Off
Reduce Compression Artifacts @ 3
Reduce Random Noise @ 1
RCA has to be pushed a bit to get results on really bad source, but when watching the content in motion I prefer RRN at 1 even though it smothes a bit too much. I concur that a lower RRN setting would be best.
In those screenshots it seems to me that RCA removes more artifacts and less texture than RRN, so it seems better in this case at least?

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
Looking for where to try "reduce compression artifacts" or "reduce random noise", I have 0.92.6 installed (I have profiles 7 to be exact), but can not find these options on any screen. I hate to delete profiles, as it takes so much time to recreate them from scratch.
Maybe you're running an old version of the MadHcCtrl.exe (settings dialog)? The new settings are supposed to be in the "processing -> artifact removal" settings page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Always liked Adaptive Sharpen and I just took your word it was nicer than the old version. It's stronger isn't it? I did find myself reducing the level to 0.2/0.3 when running with NGU Sharp. I also like sharpen edges and enhance detail enabled together.. When I was tinkering I realized I now had to decide whether I use NGU Sharp and lower sharpening levels or NGU standard and higher levels. Then whether edge sharpening and enhancing details were worth keeping enabled with an improved Adaptive Sharpen and how they compared to it. I'm tempted to look at all this over the next few days with various content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Looks like the new AS sharpens more edges, I'd say the new version's sharpness of 0.7-0.8 matches the old 1.0, some areas are much sharper others not so much.

This new AS sharpens the edges of shadowing and lots of inner details which the old one didn't, as it focused more on just the stronger lines which made it very nice for anime.

Comparing new AS 0.7 to old 1.0 I'm finding is that I'm not getting the line sharpness I did (would have to boost to 1.0 to achieve this) but minor shadowing edges are quite visually oversharpened.
I'll look at it on some standard content but you'd probably hate me saying this but..

Look here for a quick comparison of the old vs new AdaptiveSharpen on a grainy image, using much too high sharpening values:

old adaptive sharpen - - | - - new adaptive sharpen

You can see that the old algo produced very artificial catoonish results, while the new algo looks much better. The old algo did sharpen edges more than anything else while the new one algo sharpens texture to some extent, but the end results look much better to my eyes.

Also try with this well known ringing test image:

http://madshi.net/small.png

You'll see that the old algo produced visible ringing while the new doesn't. So overall I think the new algo is a noticeable improvements.

Why not both? Because there are already 6 different sharpening type algorithms in madVR and we don't really need any more. We need less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
Here are a couple of screen shots. These are up-scaled from 480p to 4k, with the "reduce random noise /process chroma channels, too" both ticked and set to strength 1. It looks real good from my viewing distance of around six feet (188.66 cm) from a 55 inch (139.7 cm) OLED 4k TV.

Before and after.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q4FzchlC17DeJQ5v2
Thanks! FWIW, in the first image the algo also softens over the white shape on the girl's shoulder, which is not a good thing. Maybe a slightly lower strength of the algo would be better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakko01 View Post
I think than the best I can do is chroma upscaling= ngu soft medium and image upscalling NGU Sharp medium without entering in frame drops , or what you saying is do even less on chroma , if that so, which scaler you choose.
The most important thing is image upscaling. So if you can go to NGU Sharp high there, it might be worth using a very cheap chroma algo, e.g. Bicubic75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
@madshi Do you plan to improve the RRA and RDH algos ?

I am still using aviSynth with FineDehalo because RRA + RDH is not good with NGU (Source / MadVR RRA + RDH / FineDehalo) :

FineDehalo works very well with NGU, but madVR RRA + RDH creates undesired artifacts around the edges.
Haha, you guys with your abbreviations! Took me a bit to figure out what you mean. Anyway, revisiting RRA is on my to do list, but it doesn't have highest priority right now. It might help if you can collect a few short images where the artifacts you're seeing are most obvious, so I have something to look at when I find the time to revisit the algo.

The images you just posted don't really convince me. I see that RRA produces slightly different results than FineDehalo, but I don't really notice any ugly artifacts. Do you have some better images maybe? And can you mark the positions where the artifacts are most obvious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Tried the new filters on old anime, very low res, crappy compression. They're nothing short of miraculous, as far as my taste goes. Thank you madshi, these are very welcome additions.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote