View Single Post
Old 21st May 2019, 12:29   #56295  |  Link
miroslav22

Just started using Madvr, very impressed!

I just had a couple of questions I'm struggling to find answers to. Apologies if I'm not fully understanding this!

The issues I have are:

I want to use madvr to upscale TV at 50hz to 2160p, however switching to 50hz only works if I set the colour output in the Nvidia control panel to 4:2:0 chroma/luma sampling OR 8 bit precision (due to the bandwith limitations of HDMI 2.0). For some reason I can only select 8/12 bit for precision and not 10 bit. My understanding is that HDMI 2.0 has enough bandwidth for full RGB/10 bit output at 50hz so it's annoying the option doesn't seem to be available. (Is there a reason for this?)

But I also want HDR output for films at 23p. So I guess I am forced to set the Nvidia control panel to output 12 bit and not 8 bit? If this is the case I am also forced to use 4:2:0 chroma/luma to allow 50hz to work.

So I guess my question is are you 'stuck' with what you set in the Nvidia control panel for all refresh rates, or can/does Madvr change the colour precision/subsampling output dynamically, along with the refresh rate? I'm running in DX11 FSE mode

ie Can/does madvr switch the output to 10/12bit RGB at 2160p23 and 8bit RGB (or even 12bit 4:2:0) at 50hz?

If not then is the quality difference of always outputting 4:2:0 vs RGB negligible for HTPC use?
miroslav22 is offline   Reply With Quote