View Single Post
Old 28th March 2020, 04:45   #1578  |  Link
stax76

@AMED

Thanks for finding the reason and a solution, for me it would have been very difficult to find because there is a network involved and I'm not very competent in this area. There was another UNC related bug recently and I found out I can get such a path by using \\localhost\c$\Users\frank\Desktop, your issue appeared more complex and probably I wouldn't have found the reason.

git is like a time based file system, it's possible to browse later versions of a file, the original code here:

https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip/b...General.vb#L32

So it's almost the same as your fix.

I do remember this change and I also remember the reason: on my PC staxrip is located at D:\Projekte\VB\StaxRip, for unknown (and maybe mystical) reason System.Windows.Forms.Application.StartupPath was returning wrong casing, staxrip instead StaxRip, it wasn't causing a bug, I noticed it in the Apps dialog, I don't remember all details but much likely I had tried to investigate it by looking if powershell dir shows something different from Explorer and by looking which Win32 function is used by .NET, I think the outcome was that Win32 already returned the wrong casing and finding the reason seemed very difficult, guys like Raymond Chen know such things (helped me before with a difficult 'Open with++' issue) but the shitty StackOverflow site where I could ask has blocked me, so I just decided to try another Win32 function, didn't expect that this will cause an issue in a network. The problem was only cosmetic but still did bother me enough trying to work around it and potentially such things can trigger bugs. I did revert it now and it probably will remain a mystery for me.

Last edited by stax76; 28th March 2020 at 05:01.