View Single Post
Old 4th August 2020, 08:18   #29806  |  Link
Lathe

On a side note, with my new build everything works really well, except when I try to utilize more of the CPU. I wonder if the Ryzen 5's are known easily to over heat? It's ONLY when I try to do an encode which of course tries to utilize most of the CPU. If it is running full out at 90%+ it gradually gets hotter and hotter until it reaches about 90 degrees and shuts the computer off. The case I got has FIVE bloody fans in it too for Goodness sake! With a huge one on the side to draw in cooler air. I'm taking it back in to where they built it, and as an added help I bought an after market CPU cooler. But, it really shouldn't be doing that anyway.

The only work around I could come up with is when I did an encode using x264 either with or without BDRB, the only way I can keep the CPU from overheating is to deselect the cores/threads in the 'Affinity' setting when you right-click the x264 process in TM. So, if I only use 1/4 of the 'cores' or whatever they are and the CPU is only running at 25%, I can just BARELY keep it under the redline temperature. Sure is frustrating. Still is a lot faster than my old one, but it would be kind of nice to be able to use the entire potential of the CPU.

I'm HOPING that he will find what exactly is causing that (hopefully NOT a bad CPU!) because just adding the after market cooler alone will not fix that. I guess I'll just hafta see what happens...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote