View Single Post
Old 6th March 2016, 22:01   #34  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Widescreen NTSC DVDs are exactly 16:9, because the active area is 704x480, not 720x480. Some discs are encoded that way, most are 720. Some discs violate the standard and some players ignore it, but the 704 middle pixels are what's supposed to be displayed even when the encode is 720. Most commercial DVDs will have 8 pixels of dark or black pixels on each side, though it's fairly often off-center, and sometimes the active frame is edge-to-edge and should be treated as having a different aspect ratio. (Though the difference is small.) That's the trouble with having thousands of companies putting out releases, quite a few of them screw it up.

There have been quite a few threads here about this problem.
Well, when you follow this BBC guide (which I assume is correct and as per old analog standard) than if you scale HD master to SD (with 8 pixels padding) than when you watch it on LCD/Plasma etc it circle won't be circle. When you do the same on old CRT than it will be fine.
My own practical test shown that BBC rules don't work for modern TVs. Adobe adopted these rules some time ago and now their HD to SD scaling has black bars on side which I'm not that sure is correct for modern TVs (as they use square pixels and seams to have no compensation for "old standard"- Sony broadcast monitors have special setting for it).

Last edited by kolak; 6th March 2016 at 22:03.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote