View Single Post
Old 5th February 2015, 04:36   #12  |  Link
flyvholm
Semper Tiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Why aren't you calling x264 from the command line and feeding the AVI directly?
VirtualDub makes a quite effective GUI for this. IMO tidier and decreases risk of errors, but it's a matter of preference.

Quote:
You're missing a lot of the useful tuning encoder parameters.
Yes. I do use the exact settings you list for my Blu-ray encodes. I can (and will) use better settings for encoding the digital download as you suggest. However, the big question is what bitrate I should go with for the default digital download, considering that my friend cannot even find an HDTV setup that the high bitrate version looks good on (and most end users will be less tech savvy than him).

Quote:
As for the artifacts, there are some sort of blocking artifacts around the letters when they fade in.
I do see that too, much worse for the low bitrate version.

Quote:
The clip is also pretty noisy. Have you considering using an AVIsynth filter like MCTD?
It is noisy. I posted a clip without noise removal in order to make the HDTV artifacts obvious in case they occur. I did do some noise removal with frame blending in After Effects. Works quite well, but blurs motion a bit (problematic for stars). I wasn't aware of MCTD and will do some testing. One problem is that the noise removal really should be performed on all the original image sequences (as I do in After Effects). More than 50 timelapse sequences in the film need noise removal, so that's a lot of work.

Quote:
I tried both clips on my Samsung HDTV via a USB stick. I didn't notice any unusual problems with the high bitrate clip. The noise is a little less smoothed over in the high bitrate clip though.
Thanks a lot, much appreciated. Same result as I've been getting on the setups I've tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDragon View Post
Perhaps he just hates noise?
If he didn't before, he does now! But something is definitely going wrong with the HDTV setups, verified by the fact that the noise was ok to him on a 1080p projector. As I write he's trying to see if it's possible to capture the artifacts on video.
flyvholm is offline   Reply With Quote