View Single Post
Old 19th October 2020, 19:49   #2401  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
YouTube also has much lower quality expectations than premium content, so they can get away with consistently suboptimal encoding. One people are paying for a service or content, their expectations go way higher. The general expectation is to not have any distracting artifacts. When someone is paying extra to subscribe to or buy UHD or HDR content, expectations go even higher.

YouTube being free can cut a whole lot of corners. Pretty much all video game footage on YouTube has painful artifacts, for example.
Being a customer of Netflix's 4K/HDR most expensive and premium subscription for the last few years, I have never seen such disturbing and distracting artifacts from Netflix like this period of time.

Netflix provides 4K at very low bitrates using new techniques like shot based encodings which are the worst thing I have ever seen on my 4K TV despite what they say here:
https://netflixtechblog.com/optimize...g-47b516b10bbb

I mean YouTube is many times better in encoding quality than these new "optimized" techniques.

It's a nightmare and a legacy of Spring-Summer COVID bandwidth restrictions that they decided to fight using these failed new encodings in order to keep bandwidth low, especially in 4K content.

As you work in the industry, is it possible to shake briefly their heads in order to open their eyes and see the mess they have caused ?

I wonder when this nightmare of limited bandwidth will be over, hopefully before the unlimited COVID lockdowns.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote