View Single Post
Old 20th October 2020, 19:40   #2404  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
The current codec wars are a challenge, as many aren't adopting HEVC (which is broadly available outside of Chrome/Firefox) in favor of using H.264 now and hoping for AV1. HEVC can lower bandwidth by around 40% versus H.264 at similar quality with today's encoders. HEVC would be the best way to drop aggregate bandwidth/increase top bitrate quality in 2020-2021 while people wait for HW AV1 decoders to become common.
Talking about Netflix, it uses HEVC 10bit for 4K/HDR streams with highest HW DRM possible and the system doesn't offer any other codec for such content .

So, Netflix is already on the boat of HEVC 10bit since the beginning of 4K in 2014.

The artifacts I'm talking about have nothing to do with low bandwidth or codec of 4K content, but with the change in encoding type as Netflix mentioned in its article.

As I said before, the problem is not low bandwidth by itself but the way Netflix is trying to handle it using the "optimized" techniques of 4K re-encoding during the last few months.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote