View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 14:06   #15110  |  Link
Cela

Confused with audio results and Audio checkboxes under SETUP

I use BD-RB v0.40.09 (beta) and Output Options>Custom Target Size (7700MB). In BD-RB Setup>Audio Encoding Options>'Do not reencode AC3 (Blu-Ray only)' is the only option checked. (The option 'Do not convert DTS to AC3 (Blu-Ray only)' is unchecked.)

But I get some audio results which, IMHO, do not correspond to what I should get according to what I read in the FAQ explanation of the 'Audio checkboxes under SETUP' ( BD Rebuilder (BD-RB) Frequently Asked Questions ).

1. From my Audio Encoding Options settings I expected that this DTS would be converted to AC3 640 kbps! Am I wrong?

- [06:26:08] Processing audio tracks
- Track 4352 (eng): Keeping original audio <---
where this track is:
Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : 130
Duration : 11mn 5s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

The FAQ states 'Important note: Choosing to keep DTS on AVCHD output violates the AVCHD standard and can result in a disc that will not play on some players.' I have checked 'Strict AVCHD for BD-5/9 Movie Only'. I am doing a full backup and my Custom Target Size (7700MB) is well within BD-5/9 size, isn't it? Doesn't the FAQ statement 'choosing to keep DTS on AVCHD output violates the AVCHD standard' also hold for full backups. Anyway, I did not choose to keep DTS.

2. My LPCM 2.0 audio is converted to 192KBs!
From my Audio Encoding Options settings I expected that 'LPCM is always converted to AC3' (FAQ) 224Kbs for 2.0. Why do I get 192Kbs for 2.0?
Why is there no option to select 448Kbs or the default 640Kbs for LPCM 2.0 to AC3 2.0 conversion?

IMHO, even with the FAQ, the Audio checkboxes under SETUP are a little confusing.

3. Wouldn't it be easier for the user to choose from a more explicit audio option selection table?
Example:
Keep HD audio? > Yes / NO
Convert DTS to AC3? > 640Kbs / 448Kbs / 224KBs / 192KBs / NO
Convert LPCM to AC3? > 640Kbs / 448Kbs / 224KBs / 192KBs / NO

Higher bitrates than 192 KBs for LPCM to AC3 conversion are especially needed for those concert/opera BDs which only have LPCM audio.

4. Audio/Video Bitrate Calculation _before_ video processing:
I would prefer if the audio/video bitrate calculations and/or the audio part were processed _before_ the time consuming video encoding. Then the audio processing could be checked and corrected immediately. Now, many hours of video encodings have to be redone if the audio choices need correction.

Please make the audio processing choices more unambiguous, easier to understand and predictable for the common user. I am convinced, in the long run, it will pay back by less user errors and less users, like me, calling for support and help.

Please remember, I very much appreciate your great work and program!

Last edited by Cela; 18th May 2012 at 12:19.
Cela is offline   Reply With Quote