Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 10th October 2019, 07:16   #4894  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
1) When you typed "ResizexxxMT" did you mean "ResampleMT/Desample"? I didn't find anything named "ResizexxxMT".
He means his set of resizers, like BilinearResizeMT, BicubicResizeMT, LanczosResizeMT ecc.

Quote:
2) I'm running Win 7 x64 with an Intel Core i5-3320M CPU--Speccy states "MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX"--so which version would I use, the "Release_Intel_W7_Core2_SSE4.2"? Apologies for my ignorance.
Those are CPU Instruction sets which in terms of a program refer to how the program has been compiled. A program can have manually written intrinsics (e.g parts written in assembly) or it can be written using C++ and then compiled.
To clarify this, there are low-level programming languages like Assembly and high-level programming languages like C++. When you write a program and then you compile it, it's up to the compiler to produce a code that the machine understands.
If you write it using a low-level programming language like Assembly, the code is gonna be very optimized as it's gonna be as close as possible to what the machine understands, however writing a full program in a low-level language is a nightmare, especially for complicated things, where it's easy to lose track of what you are doing and why you are doing it. As opposite, a high level programming language like C++ is easier to use, however it will be less optimized 'cause the compiler has to "guess" about what you wanted to do and "bring" your code to something that a machine can understand. Generally, the idea is to use a high level programming language and then optimize the key parts by manually writing intrinsics, (which is not easy and it's far too advanced for me as I'm not able to do that and I only code using a high level programming language).
Now, in the case of Jean-Philippe plugins, I believe that they were written in C++ only and then compiled using different assembly optimizations. (It's been a while since I last checked the code, though, so I might be wrong).
This way, it's gonna be the compiler that will try to understand what the programmer wanted to do and will try to optimize it for different assembly instructions, which won't be as fast as manually written intrinsics, but it will be faster than using no assembly optimizations at all.
Now, I know what you are thinking... you are basically thinking "fair enough, Frank, but what are those SSE, SSE2, SSE3 SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX ecc things?".
Well, one way I use to explain this to non-programmers is to think about two CPUs, an old one with SSE2 and a recent one with AVX2.
Think about the SSE2 CPU as a "dumb child" who can only do addition and the AVX2 one as a "smart child" who can do multiplication.
Of course, as long as the teacher assigns those children additions, both are gonna be fine, however, if the teacher assigns those children multiplications, the second child (the smart one) will do them, while the first one (the dumb one) will have to split them into additions and then will get to the same result.
The teacher is like the program you are trying to execute.
Additions is like a program compiled with SSE2.
Multiplication is like a program compiled with AVX2.
If you try to assign multiplications to the dumb child without splitting them into additions, the dumb child won't be able to do them, which means that if you compile a program with AVX2 and you try to open it with an SSE2 capable CPU it won't be able to run it and will fail, however if you split them in sums and you assign them to the dumb child, he will be able to do them, but it will take longer (i.e if you compile the program with SSE2, the CPU will be able to run the program but it will be slower).

And... that's it.
I know that it's a very simple way to see it and there is more behind this, but I'm not gonna explain it any further as it would take pages to get into details of what each and every instruction set does, but you can check Wikipedia for them as they are all documented.
One little note at the end: remember that I told you that sometimes programs are written in C++ only and then compiled with assembly optimizations by the compiler which has to guess what the compiler is doing? Well, it may not guess right and, as a matter of fact, there are times in which an AVX2 compiled code is not faster than an SSE4.2 compiled one (I'm sure there are topics about it on Doom9 but I can't think about them, I just know that I've been over this other times in the past).

Last edited by FranceBB; 10th October 2019 at 08:08.