View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 23:01   #20338  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagon View Post
Heh, I also can't figure why anyone would make such an odd sized resolution. I also encountered files that were even stranger, like 8 hundred something by 960. No telling what folks will try I guess. I doubt this is a code issue on your end, since I'd expect if it were a BDRB issue switching tmuxer wouldn't help. I just thought that since I hadn't seen any resolution I'd play around and see if I could figure out what was causing it.

All of my MKVs are created by BDRB, and I haven't had a problem with them. But since I was just playing around with this, and I thought resolution might have an impact, I grabbed a bunch of MKVs off the net, and ended up with several different resolutions. I'd bet anyone running into this issue has odd sized files, for whatever reason. When the files are "normal" resolutions there doesn't seem to be any trouble.

The 2.6.12 version of tsmuxer seems to dislike the odd sized files, but the older tsmuxer doesn't. Why I couldn't say. I didn't think you did any resizing until the final re-encode. I assumed tmuxer would just grab the video as is and put it into the pseudo BD structure without making adjustments, and any resizing would be done as part of the re-encode. But that isn't how it's working with the 2.6.12 version. The process goes far too fast for it to be encoding the files, so is there some way for tsmuxer to just alter the res? Is tsmuxer supposed to resize when extracting to the pseudo structure, or is that an unexpected behavior?

In any case, there's an easy work around. The older version of tsmuxer did complete an import of 7 of these 1912x1072 resolution MKVs, each around 2GB, and BDRB created an ISO with them and they all play nicely. So, if someone hits this, they can use the older tsmuxer to get around it. Though I have also encountered files that encode the video fine, but pork the audio. So clearly it's best to use well conforming sources in the first place. But folks don't often do what's best. So, for future reference, next time someone has a gray screen issue, maybe it's from this.

Cheers,
You are correct. BD-RB doesn't resize until reencoding. The parameters to be used are stored in the PSEUDO folder and in the PSEUDO.INF file.