View Single Post
Old 21st March 2018, 18:32   #49676  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
Warner,

the upcoming NUC Hades Canyon has a AMD GPU (Radeon RX Vega M GH) paired with a Intel CPU.
The 7900 projector switches to the HDR preset as Long as the HDR flag is set.
However my question was in regards to GPU power required for dynamic HDR while watching a movie. My understanding was that madVR analysis the currently playing video and adjusts e.g. gamma to get the best HDR settings depending on the movie scene.

NoTechi
HDR -> SDR conversion requires GPU power. HDR passthrough does not (or maybe it takes a little; I don't know. But not as much). A setting of passthrough lets the display decide how the content is mapped rather than madVR. So you can't use madVR to improve HDR presentation on a HDR-compatible display. That is up to the format used and the quality of the display.

So any GPU with at least 4GB of VRAM and HEVC decoding will do. GPUs with greater power will be more capable of using madVR processing features such as artifact removal and image upscaling. madVR is very good at the image upscaling of 1080p Blu-rays to 4K. So consider this feature when buying a GPU for madVR. A GTX 1060, at minimum, is required to push madVR to higher settings. But a 1050 Ti will allow for basic madVR settings and no limitations on features. It all depends on how much money you want to spend. GPU prices are terrible right now. So there is no hurry to upgrade to 4K.

Last edited by Warner306; 21st March 2018 at 18:36.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote