View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 14:47   #2  |  Link
manolito

Hi mo418,

first of all congratulations on your workflow. Especially for the decision to use your box together with VirtualDub instead of just using the software which comes with it and try to convert the input on the fly.

Analog capturing is not an exact science, it is at least partly some kind of an art (this quote is not by me...). Using a lossless video codec like Lagarith and uncompressed PCM audio is the best you can do. Audio sync problems are common during analog capturing, and Vdub does an excellent job correcting mismatches between video and audio clock signals. But you say that you already found a way to correct audio sync, and whatever works for you is OK.

Deinterlacing with QTGMC also gives you the best available quality today, no way to improve this.

So my point is that all of the artifacts you are seeing are probably already present in the source. I do not believe that any of these things have been introduced by your capturing workflow.

You will find some very elaborate (and very slow) AviSynth scripts to improve VHS captures here on Doom9. Mostly from my experience I question the usefulness of all this stuff. If you cannot distinguish your analog captures from the source, then you pretty much achieved your goal. Of course you should correct some obvious flaws like levels and gamma, but you will never get DVD like results from analog sources.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote