View Single Post
Old 10th September 2018, 12:58   #52346  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Main warning: in order to apply the usual custom mode created by MadVR using the EDID/CTA settings, I had to enable it manually in the nVidia CP afterwards, otherwise it doesn't show up in the list of available modes.

Main annoyance: you still have to set the bit depth to 12bits BEFORE selecting the custom res. Once the custom res is selected, bit depth is locked to 8bits and displays as such, but 12bits is still applied internally, at least at 30p and below. Above 30p, the drivers switches to 8bits automatically.
Hi Manni, how did you manually enable the custom res in Nvidia control panel? For some reason when I go into the control panel, the custom res isn't anywhere to be found, yet MadVR is able to switch to it (once MadVR switches to it, it's listed in the driver under 'custom resolutions', but once I switch back to a native mode, the custom res is gone again!).

Also, regarding 12 bit, what is a good way to test if 12 bits is being output when the drivers says 8 bit?

I know Madshi said he didn't want to implement this but it'd be much easier if there was a way to select bit depth in MadVR under Display Modes - we can already select resolution and refresh rate, bit depth seems like a logical addition. Maybe it can't be done?

Also I wish Nvidia would add back 10 bit output for RGB but I guess that will never happen...maybe Madshi could in the case of a 12 bit driver setting, output 12 bit directly from MadVR (by proper padding or whatever needs to happen to do it right) cos no one seems to know what Nvidia is doing.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote