View Single Post
Old 4th August 2010, 16:11   #50  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpoulson View Post
Thanks Random Energy for the great product.
I have a question about the constant quality setting. First, what is the reason for the differing scale value between Vidcoder and Handbrake, since Vidcoder uses the Handbrake engine? The Vidcoder default is 20, I think, and if I recall correctly, I think the Handbrake default is 60.something. Is the Vidcoder default the exact same as the Handbrake default. In your opinion, is there any benefit encoding at a setting of 18 vs 20?
You must have been using an old version of handbrake. The '60' setting is from a scale that represented the inverse percentage of the full range of possible RF values available from the encoder (x264 RF values range from 0-51). It's inverse because 0 RF is highest quality. This % scale was less meaningful then using the ratefactor directly, so the latest handbrake nightlies have eliminated the % scale. The conversion is 51 - (% * 51). So 60 is equivalent to 20.4.
Quote:
Also, for anyone out there that might be able to answer this question...I recently mass encoded a large number of video files with Vidcoder. Most of the files compressed by 50% or more; however, there were a few that compressed by very little. I know every file is different, but does this sound like an incorrectly encoded file? It seems like most encodings will shrink file size by 50-66%.
No way to tell without more information about the sources. Activity logs would help also.
Quote:
I had some problems when trying to pass-through DTS or AC-3 5.1. The file would show instantaneously completed, but there was nothing really done. As a general plan, I decided to encode to MKV and keep the original audio for anything above 2-channel and go ahead and convert to aac the 2-channel AC-3. I have been demuxing the original VOB and encoding the video only in Vidcoder and later merging everything together. Can you provide a few words on how to successfully accomplish everything in Vidcoder for passing through DTS or DD 5.1?
Sounds like a potential vidcoder bug. Again, activity logs would show us what is happening.
JohnAStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote