View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:38   #802  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Oh right, I thought it was just rendering in 10-bit and always ended up as 8-bit for output from a PC no matter what.
I'm not sure what EVR 10bit really does inside. I think it's supposed to actually deliver 10bits to the DAC (when using analog output) or to HDMI (when using HDMI 1.3 DeepColor). But I've no idea if it actually works that way, or if the GPU dumbs it down to 8bit internally somewhere...

Quote:
Do you think that using more bits for processing (32/64-bit FP) and/or linear processing would improve things at all, or is madVR currently as good as it'll get as far as posterisation is concerned?
As long as you don't scale, there won't be any improvement, as far as posterisation is concerned, because madVR is already as good as it gets in that area. It shows exactly that amount of posterisation which is in the source. Not more and not less. The only chance for further improvements would be to either add more dither than you technically need (which would mask posterisation somewhat) or to run a preprocessing algorithm which detecs and removes posterisation from the source.

Quote:
Would enabling the 10-bit output have any effect on the image at the display when madVR is used?
You mean adding 10bit output to madVR? Technically, if it actually worked (which I'm not sure about) it would decrease dithering noise level. I doubt that the difference would be visible. Maybe the image could feel ever so slightly more calm.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote