View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:47   #818  |  Link
Chumbo

Well, I just finally jumped to try this thing out. I wanted to report a few items. Tested using HTPC built on:
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400
Sapphire HD 4830 PCIe 512MB DDR3 (CCC 9.4)
2G RAM

OS: Windows XP Pro with Sp3 and latest patches/fixes via Windows Update with March 2009 DirectX.

Player: MPC HC - SVN 1079, Decoder: MPC VC-1 no DXVA, Renderer: madVR 0.9 with default settings

- 1280x720 @ 60Hz - tearing exists and playback is very slightly jerky. Material is 1080, so this is a downscale and may not be relevant?

1920x1080 resolution
--- @30Hz - smoothest playback and no tearing, however, not completely smooth. It's still a bit jerky where VMR and EVR CP in D3D is seemlessly smooth. Some good examples to use are: The opening sequence of Babylon A.D. that zooms in from space to street level, the jerkiness is noticeable on the periphery. It's ever so slight, but noticeable. Another good example of the jerkiness of horizontal and vertical pan shots are in I Am Legend. Between approximately 2:25 to 3:17, especially the overhead of the city for vertical. After that the horizontal (left-to-right pan) of the street level in the Mustang.

--- @60Hz - Smooth like 30Hz but tearing exists

--- @24Hz - Not smooth and tearing. It's pretty much a mess, but that goes for all renderers. I don't know much about this stuff, but it doesn't seem to be a renderer issue?

Please let me know if there's anything specific you want me to test or look for like settings or whatever. Thank you and nice job madshi!