View Single Post
Old 5th June 2008, 01:54   #63  |  Link
WorBry

Didee,

After playing around with the first of the two scripts I posted above (“TempGaussMC_Mod") I discovered that setting Tr0=0 (i.e. disabling the pre-mocomp temp gauss) appeared to better preserve the definition and integrity of high contrast line patterns (like the striped shirt in 25p clip I provided), whilst still retaining good anti-aliasing effect and minimal flickering/shimmering of objects that, in the original clip, were fairlystable - more or less the outcome I have been aiming for.

I hadn’t realized that Tr0=0 was possible until I followed the script process path. So, in this case the searchclip that derives the motion vectors for the mocomp gauss becomes entirely modulated by the kernel blur (the contrasharpen bit), which I assume is entirely spatial.; possibly the reason why the edges of the stripes still appeared a bit rough.

So, starting with Tr0=1, I tried decreasing the strength of the pre-mocomp gauss, by incrementally increasing the weighting of the ‘un-softened’ dbdbl from default 0.25 through to 0.95. To my eyes, the optimum seems to be around 0.55 – 0.60.

Changing the EEDI2 maxd value from 4 to 6 (originally 8) also seemed optimal.

Question is:

a) How does one derive the weightings for the tr0=2 gauss? Simple extrapolation would give:

Code:
t1 = dbdbl.temporalsoften(1,255,255,32,2)
t2 = dbdbl.temporalsoften(2,255,255,32,2)

t  = (tr0==0) ? dbdbl
 \ : (tr0==1) ? t1.merge(dbdbl,0.6)
 \            : t1.merge(t2,0.8568).merge(dbdbl,0.3)
Would this be correct or is the calc more involved?

b) Is it valid to make such changes without impacting the post-mo-comp gauss weightings, which seem OK as they are?

Thanks a lot.

BTW- how’s the new update coming on? I’m keen to start using TempGaussMC on my interlaced DV stuff, but will hold off if there are going to be further improvements.

Last edited by WorBry; 8th June 2008 at 00:44.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote