View Single Post
Old 24th August 2017, 21:33   #1220  |  Link
sfatula

Ok, confused by subtitles. I did try and read previous discussions, but, could not find my specific case and could have missed it. I have the BD Avatar 3D. On this bluray, is a set of subtitles. One of them (4608) has forced subs included with non forced subs.

In the ideal world, what I want is the forced subs only to be displayed, though, one day I may need all subs. So, in other words, I do want both types. But for now, I do not want to display all subs.

Using KODI as a player, the doc for Kodi says:

"Many movies have subtitles encoded for secondary languages spoken during the film – when these are added to the movie, they are known as forced subtitles and are always visible (despite not being hard encoded). As of Gotham, Kodi recognizes and respects the forced flag for showing subtitles (even if subtitles are turned off by default, the forced flag will trigger them being turned on). "

It also says:
"If you are using an .mkv file, the forced subtitles may be included in the file when originally encoded. If so, Kodi will automatically recognize that they are present and will display them at the appropriate times. If they are not included, or if the header was not properly edited, you will need to use external subtitles."

So, in theory, Kodi will respect the forced flag and only show those if subtitles are disabled. But I have done something wrong? What actually happens is Kodi displays all subtitles, disabled or not. That makes me think they have been merged and encoded into the video by bd3d2mk3d perhaps?

Is there a way to include the subtitles (with both forced and non forced) into the mkv file so that Kodi can only display the forced ones unless subtitles are turned on? Confused. Does the format actually matter for Kodi, vobsub vs bluray sup? Hardcode is set to none on page 5. I selected the top option for 4608, and checked nothing thinking this would simply include the subtitles as is (both forced and unforced)

Last edited by sfatula; 24th August 2017 at 21:39.